Experience Norway from mountain to fjord!
Walking tour in the beautiful Aurlandsdalen Valley
The Norwegian tour operator, Expa AS, take you to some of Norway’s most beautiful mountains and fjords.
From Oslo we travel onwards to experience Norway at its best.
This tour combines thrilling adventures on Norwegian mountains with unique hospitality and local culture that characterize the area.
We will trek from the mountains all the way down to the sea – or rather the fjords – experiencing the best of both worlds!
May – September 2017
Our destination is known as being fantastic for Winter sports and skiing and is equally famous for its breathtaking scenery during the Summer months. Norwegians love to be outdoors and hiking in the mountains is exceptional.
We start the tour at Finse – a mountain village 1.222 meters above sea level. Here we are truly in the mountains, with national parks and protected areas stretching out in every direction. Our train arrives at Finse around midday and our journey begins in earnest after lunch. We take in the wild and spectacular Aurlandsdalen Valley whilst travelling westwards and towards the coast on one of the most captivating hikes in Norway.
On the third day of our hike, we arrive in Vassbygdi, a small and stunning village down by the fjord. From here, we board the Flåm Railway for one of the most beautiful train journeys in the world. Our voyage takes us from sea level and up to the mountains again. Once at Myrdal station we hop on to the Bergen Line and travel back to Oslo.
Accommodation in Oslo is at the following hotels:
Both are good hotels in a central location that offers good public transport.
Rooms have two to four bedrooms and they also have dormitories. All accommodation has shared toilet and shower facilities.
A Tour For You?
This tour is designed for people who would love to experience magnificent and spectacular scenery combined with Norwegian mountain hospitality and culture.
Starting in the mountains and hiking down to sea level, daily distances are between fifteen and twenty kilometers. We walk on tracks and mountain terrain from five to seven hours a day. Naturally, you may encounter some weary limbs. In order to be as prepared as possible, we suggest you indulge in some training beforehand, and thus, create the best opportunity to really ‘enjoy the ride’.
The lowest age limit for this tour is 15 years of age.
You will complete each stage at your own pace, with help and support from both the guides and the group. We finish each day at a new location, where there is ample opportunity to relax and truly appreciate the amazing scenery, not to mention the wonderful food…
…And talking of food…that is a story in itself! Local fresh produce is cooked on the premises. The results are delicious!
The number of participants is limited to fifty, in order to ensure that everyone has the very best experience on this tour. Our experienced guides will divide everyone into appropriate groups related to preferred pace and experience. You may, of course, change groups on the various days, if you wish.
All walkers will carry their own packed lunch and we will find a suitable spot en route to take a well-earned break and eat.
The evening meal is normally the day’s high point, when we share our day’s experiences and appreciate our achievements, whilst enjoying the magnificent setting.
We initially meet up in Oslo????
Early on the morning we will take the train from Oslo to Finse, where the tour begins in earnest. The scenic train journey to Finse takes about 4.5 hours. We eat lunch in Finse and begin our hike down towards the sea. We will stay in a different mountainside cabin every day, with two to four beds in each room. Each cabin has its own unique history and is run by the Norwegian Tourist Association.
- Day 1 – We hike from Finse to Geiterygghytta, arriving late afternoon.
- Day 2 – Our hike takes us down through the stunning Aurlandsdalen Valley, to our Østerbø cabins.
- Day 3 – We continue our journey all the way down through Aurlandsdalen Valley to the fjord. We gather together in the little village of Vassbygdi. After a short bus trip we jump on board the fantastic Flåm Railway that takes us back up to the mountaintop at Myrdal. Flamsbana – The Flam Railway – is a spectacular train journey that offers a panoramic view of some of the wildest and most magnificent nature in the Norwegian fjord landscape. It is considered to be one of the world’s finest train journeys.
We guarantee the most wonderful experiences both during the day and in the evenings. The variety of scenery and terrain will constantly arouse your senses and create life-long memories. All of this combined with fresh home-made meals from local ingredients make this the perfect tour. We expect to welcome participants from many different countries, so expect to make many new friends!
The Price Includes
- Accomodation in Oslo for two nights, sharing a doubleroom.
- Breakfast during your stay in Oslo.
- Train travel Oslo–Finse and Flam-Myrdal-Oslo.
- Accomodation during the walking tour, in a shared room with 2-4 beds or dormitory, with shared shower and WC.
- All meals during our walking tour (breakfast, packed lunch, dinner).
- Baggage transport between accommodation.
- Expa-tourleaders who safely guide you throughout the entire trip.
- Single room. Please note that not all accommodation can offer singlerooms.
- Drink with dinner.
- Lunch / dinner
- Personal walking equipment, such as rucksack, walking boots etc.
- Personal insurance / travel insurance.
Our support vehicle will transport your baggage between accommodation during the walking tour. You will need your own rucksack for the daily hikes.
Flights are not included in the price.
Large baggage is transported by our support vehicle. For the daily treks you will carry your own rucksack with food, drink, sun cream and any extra clothes.
What do you need to bring?
Suggested Packing List
- Walking boots/ good footwear suitable for walking on rough terrain.
- Walking trousers.
- Windproof jacket.
- Waterproof trousers and jacket.
- Warm hat and gloves.
- Backpacks for hiking.
- Sun cream.
- First Aid kit.
- Casual clothes for the evenings.
Travel insurance is compulsory on our tours. All participants are responsible for their own personal travel insurance.
Tickets and Passports
All participants must have a valid passport.
For more information please contact Eric Berglund, e-mail email@example.com / mobile +47 92 61 88 05.
Our detailed itinerary is preliminary. EXPA AS reserves the right to make changes en route when circumstances require. EXPA AS will have no liability for any typos.