Arctic Cycling in the North of Norway
Amazing Lofoten Islands!
This time EXPA takes you to Lofoten Islands on a highly spectacular boat- and cyclingevent.
This journey, is one pinned on your “bucket list”, you just don’t know it yet. If you close your eyes and imagine fjords, lots of fjords, high steep mountains, spectacular bridges connecting tiny distinctive fishing communities, roads zig-zacking and bending in between into ways end and finally the encompassing big sea… Not your average sea, but the endless open sea with azure blue waves that carries your body into a state of mindfulness… and white, wide beaches with fine grained sand only seen on postcards. This combined with wildlife such as elk, reindeers, whales and eagles. And there – in the middle of all this, is you, your friends and a bike…, biking and sailing in between.
This is the adventure delivering you the “loin” of the most beautiful and breath-taking area of the whole of Norway. And still, we haven’t mentioned the mid- summer sunlight. The sun literally never sets! The land of the midnight sun. Can you even imagine….?
Fishing, cycling, exploring, hiking, whale spotting, sailing, arctic surfing, dining directly off what nature offers. All in the clear and unpolluted environment of the arctic nature. The Lofoten islands are also on UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites candidate list. Come, let´s tick off your “should be” nr. 1 on the “bucket list”, it´s undeniably possible.
June, July, August – Preferable: mid July – primo August.
Fly from Oslo Airport to Harstad-Narvik Evenes Airport (1600km). Cycling and boating/sailing on and off throughout The Lofoten Islands.
Ferry to Bodø. Fly from Bodø Airport to Oslo Airport.
Three options: A luxury modernized fishing vessel – Vulkana, The famous and world’s oldest sailing flat topped schooner with two masts from 1886 – Anna Rogde, and the classic arctic passenger vessel – MS Strønstad.
We meet in Harstad after a short buss ride of 45 min from the airport. We switch between cycling and boating in order to reach all finest area of Lofoten and the surrounding areas. The first night will be at the harbour in Harstad. The next day we bike and go by boats to Andenes. Then we go by boat towards the next day’s stage starting at Stø, and simultaneously, hopefully, – we will do some whale spotting on the way. From Stø we go by bike, we get picked up by boat in Sortland and then we head towards Svolvær via Trollfjorden. In Svolvær, we stay in the harbour for two nights. Then it´s off to Nusfjord and Fredvang.
Staying the night in Fredvang preparing for exceptional hiking the next day. The last leg brings us to Å by bike, and we stay the night in Sørvågen. On the last day we leave our boat and jump on the local ferry from Sørvågen to Bodø and the airport where we return home after an idyllic and spectacular week.
Detailed itinerary (tbd)
- Day 1 – You arrive at the airport at Evenes, and There´s a 45 min bus ride to the city centre of Harstad. Here you will team up with your boat and Fellow A tour in the vicinity of the Harbour is followed by a visit to the Viking museum encapsulate by the tales of Tore Hund. A prominent Viking chieftain. Later a great tasting local dinner consisting of fresh prawns is awaiting you on-board your ship. You are in the land of the midnight sun. The night is not coming as the the sun keeps shining, nevertheless some hours sleep are recommended J.
- Day 2 –Seagulls singing, while the pleasant rocking from the waves and the smell of salty water awakes Today we bike from Harstad, and we pass Nupen, dubbed Norway’s most romantic spot, on the way to Borkenes. The length is approx. 33 km. Then embark upon the boat again and we cross Andfjorden whilst having a traditional lunch. Disembarking at Dverberg you will have 38 km crossing Andøya towards Bleik. There you will have a short coffee break at the “Bleik blacksmith”. The destination Andenes is reached in the afternoon. The evening On-board the boat will include a local dinner, whale spotting and transportation to the next start area… You will sleep tight we assure you J
- Day 3 – After a fresh morning swim surrounded of water and a traditional breakfast, you start pedalling from Stø towards Gisløya. This is a 16 km nice ride, were we pass this small island with its fantastic and unique The ride continues passing Melbu and takes you further to Sortland in Vesterålen. A total of 60 km riding. There the vessel is ready to transport you further into the magnificent Lofoten. If you If you fancy more cycling, an option is to pedal alongside the vessel for a couple of hours. In the Evening we pass Trollfjorden on our route to Svolvær.
- Day 4 – Today you have the option to go hiking up to “svolværgeita” or go by bike to Kabelvåg and Henningsvær. What ever you decide; it´s spectacular! We stay in Svolvær two nights, and there is a possibility to visit the city centre of Lofoten for shopping, wining and dining … Svolvær by night is also ready to welcome
- Day 5 – You will do one of the finest routs in the world Starting out of Svolvær and after 55 km lunch is served in the Ancient Viking museum Borg. After a historic stop, you continue just 10 km to Lektnes. Her we embark again, and we go by boat to Nusfjord. This is an old fishing men village with unique and ancient architecture. Whilst enduring the bright night and iconic scenery we end up in Fredvang.
- Day 6 – At Fredvang a hiking trip to Ryten and Kvalvika is a must, but it is also possible to take a rest day at the The hiking takes three to four hours. and we prepare lunch the Norwegian way, up in the high mountain. Here, we promise, you will get a view you will never forget…
- Day 7 – Biking from Fredvang to the utter end of the Lofoten Island is a ride consisting of a combination of bridges and small A total of 36 km. A bonus trip of 30 km in the start is possible passing the beach of Flakstad. Amazing! At Hamnøya we stop for lunch and we continue the tour to Å.
- Day 8 – Embarking on the Ferry crossing Vestfjorden to Bodø, and a safe flight home after a week in the “loin” of Lofoten Utterly breath-taking!
Her må vi ha inn prisforslag.
- MS Strønstad – TBD.
- Anna Rogde –
- Vulkana – Expensive “high-end product”
Anna Rogde: http://new.stmu.no/AnnaRogde